Vince McMahon subpoenaed by federal agents, on medical leave due to surgery

WWE executive chairman Vince McMahon was served a federal grand jury subpoena last month after a search warrant by federal law enforcement agents, according to a regulatory filing.

Government investigations are still ongoing, but there are no charges filed yet against McMahon, the WWE said in its filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. McMahon is currently on medical leave after having spinal surgery last week.

This is the newest development in a saga that dates back to last year after a Wall Street Journal report. The story said that the WWE was investigating a $3 million payment made from McMahon to a female employee regarding a consensual affair. WWE completed an investigation into the allegations last year.

“We believe this is a continuation of the investigation that commenced last summer. WWE has cooperated throughout and fully understands and respects the government’s need for a complete process,” the company said in a statement to USA Today on Tuesday.

WWE owner Vince McMahon enters the arena during WrestleMania 38 at AT&T Stadium in April 2022.

WWE owner Vince McMahon enters the arena during WrestleMania 38 at AT&T Stadium in April 2022.

Federal law enforcement and regulatory agencies have made legal demands for documents from the WWE relating to the investigation, according to the Associated Press. It’s currently unclear if the WWE has made those documents available.

“In 2022, WWE formed a special committee to review allegations of misconduct against me. That review was concluded in November 2022 following an extensive investigation,” McMahon said in a statement. “Throughout this experience, I have always denied any intentional wrongdoing and continue to do so. I am confident that the government’s investigation will be resolved without any findings of wrongdoing. I am focused on completing the recovery process from my recent spinal surgery and on closing our transaction with Endeavor, which will create one of the preeminent global sports and entertainment brands.”

It’s been a busy last year for McMahon.

He initially resigned following the Wall Street Journal’s report, making his daughter, Stephanie, the interim CEO. A month later he announced his retirement entirely from the WWE and named Stephanie and Nick Khan the new co-CEOs. McMahon then unretired in January 2023 and become executive chairman.

Less than three months later, WWE and Endeavor, the parent company of UFC, merged to form a $21.4 billion dollar company. McMahon sold the company to Endeavor Group Holdings Inc., which now holds a 51% stake. The remaining 49% is owned by WWE stakeholders.

The WWE has its main event SummerSlam on August 5. It also announced on Tuesday that WrestleMania 39 generated $215 million for the Los Angeles region.

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Vince McMahon subpoenaed regarding misconduct allegations

Leave a Comment