Older brother arrested for firearm in shooting death of 12-year-old boy

A 12-year-old boy died in a “tragic” incident at a home in the Mattapan section of Boston on Thursday when his older brother’s gun went off, officials said.

‘Simply unacceptable’: Man faces charges in fatal shooting of 12-year-old boy in Mattapan

Walter Hendrick, 22, of Mattapan, was arraigned Friday morning for improper storage of a firearm, unlawful possession of a firearm and unlawful possession of ammunition. A judge set his bail at $2,500 and ordered him to surrender any other weapons.

“There were no answers there, none,” said grandmother Diane Ellis. Ellis wants to know why her 12-year-old grandson, Savion, died.

“As you can see, this is a tragic situation. Mr. Hendrick has just lost his younger brother,” Hendrick’s attorney told the court as he hid out of sight of the cameras. supported here by his family who are sitting in the front row… They want him to come home. That’s something that’s going to take time to process for Mr. Hendrick as well.

Officers responding to a reported shooting at 35 Fessenden Street just after 2 p.m. found the 12-year-old victim suffering from an apparent gunshot wound, city officials said. The boy was rushed to hospital where he eventually succumbed to his injuries.

It is not known who fired the gun or what led to the discharge of the gun. An 8-year-old brother was also in the apartment, but it is unclear where in the house.

Prosecutors said in court that a gun was found in the home after the shooting, along with a single casing.

Hendrick “made statements indicating ownership of the firearm involved,” according to prosecutors. There was also another brother under 21 present when the gun went off.

Arrest after 12-year-old boy was shot and killed in Mattapan

Arrest after 12-year-old boy was shot and killed in Mattapan

Hendrick’s attorney also told the court that his client is a graduate of Snowden International School and has never been in trouble with the law before. He also has a baby on the way.

“This is a first offense for him. He has never been arrested in his entire life,” the lawyer said, assuring the judge that her client would return to court. “He has a child on the way who should be born on next month.”

Suffolk District Attorney Kevin Hayden urged members of the community to surrender their weapons at a press conference after the shooting.

“Unfortunately, here we are another sad and tragic afternoon which frankly stems from too many guns on the street,” Hayden said. “A young loss of life like this is simply unacceptable. It is tragic and simply indescribable.

Boston Mayor Michelle Wu called the child’s death a “horrible tragedy for the entire city”.

The incident is not being investigated as a homicide at this time.

Most family members kept their heads covered as they left. “He was a good boy, I really want them to know that,” said a man leaving the courthouse.

Diane Ellis wiped away tears on her way home saying she didn’t know what to feel. “Until I get some answers my feelings are numb, just numb. I can’t tell if I’m angry or upset, just numb,” Ellis said.

Hendrick is due back in court on September 6.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News App for the latest news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW

Leave a Comment