North Korea said its attempt to launch a military reconnaissance satellite failed on Wednesday when the rocket’s second stage failed, according to the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).
“The new satellite vehicle rocket, Chollima-1, crashed into the Western Sea as it lost propulsion due to an abnormal start of the 2nd stage engine after separation from the 1st stage during the normal flight,” KCNA said.
Earlier, South Korea’s military said Pyongyang fired a “space projectile”, triggering emergency alerts in Seoul and Japan, weeks after North Korean leader Kim Jong Un ordered officials to prepare to launch the country’s first military reconnaissance satellite.
South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said the launch took place around 6:29 a.m. Two minutes later an air raid siren sounded in Seoul, and a minute later a text message was sent urging residents to “prepare to evacuate and allow children and the elderly”. evacuate first.
Another post followed at 6:41 a.m. to say the warnings had been “sent in error.”
Japan’s Defense Ministry warned on Monday that it would destroy any North Korean missiles entering its territory after Pyongyang informed the country of its intention to launch a “satellite” between May 31 and June 11.
Wednesday’s launch raised alarms in Japan, where alerts issued for Okinawa Prefecture were later recalled after authorities determined there was no threat to Japanese territory.
South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff said the projectile was launched from Tongchang-ri in Pyongan province to the south and was detected hovering over the west of the island of Baengnyeong in the Yellow Sea.
A separate warning was issued for Baengnyeong Island which was lifted just after 8 a.m., according to South Korea’s Interior and Security Ministry, which said the projectile was launched overhead. of the West Sea.
It is a story of rupture. More soon.
For more news and newsletters on CNN, create an account on CNN.com