The mother of rapper Migos Takeoff has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the Houston bowling alley where her son was fatally shot last year, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday.
Titania Davenport is seeking more than $1 million in damages from 810 Billiards & Bowling, including funeral expenses, loss of earning capacity and pain and suffering, according to the lawsuit filed in county district court of Harris.
In the complaint, Davenport accuses the bowling alley of not providing enough security and screening personnel for the October event, which they knew would draw a large crowd that could include celebrities.
Takeoff, real name Kirshnik Khari Ball, attended the private party where “a group of attendees began verbally, physically and openly causing trouble and trying to intimidate him and his friends,” the complaint states. . This led to firefights between “two people or groups”, which resulted in Takeoff being killed by stray bullets.
The venture was “hired by a well-known musical personality and hosted by defendants knowing it was ‘after hours’ and with potentially numerous entertainers, popular athletes and public figures,” the lawsuit states.
“Despite these facts, the Defendants provided no screening mechanism, no after-hours screening or security measures, and no enforcement of industry rules or standards to deter criminals against their guests,” including Takeoff, the lawsuit says.
The lawsuit also alleges the bowling alley was aware of criminal activity “on and around its premises” prior to the shooting and did nothing to stop it.
810 Billiards & Bowling did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Officials at the time said Takeoff was with Quavo, 31, another Migos member, at a private bowling party that began Oct. 31. Gunfire erupted near the entrance after the party ended in the early morning hours of November 1. when a fight broke out, police said.
Takeoff died from “penetrating gunshot wounds to the head and torso in the arm,” according to a Harris County medical examiner’s report.
The entertainer was not involved in the row which took place outside the bowling alley and was described by police as “an innocent bystander”.
Police have arrested two people in connection with the shooting, including Patrick Clark, 33, who has been charged with murder, police say.
The other suspect, Cameron Joshua, was arrested for illegal possession of a weapon, the chief said.
This article originally appeared on NBCNews.com