Benedict Cumberbatch and his family are said to have endured ‘many sleepless nights’ after a chief attacked their home, forcing his way through an iron gate and screaming.
Cumberbatch, his wife, Sophie Hunter, and their three young children were all at home when Chief Jack Bissell began his attack, The temperature reports. Once on the premises of their London home, the chef spat on the house intercom before dislodging him with a fish knife. The date of the attack has not been made public.
“I know you’ve moved here,” reportedly shouted Bissell, a former chef at the five-star Beaumont Hotel in London’s Mayfair. “I hope it burns.” Although the leader fled the scene, DNA evidence from the intercom enabled police to make the arrest, The temperature reports.
Bissell had started his own catering business after leaving the Beaumont Hotel in 2021, but the business flopped and was dissolved late last year, official documents show.
Another business venture – this time in the music business – also failed after about 18 months. He set up the label with sound engineer Sam Farr, who told the Daily Beast: “I haven’t seen him in years, but I can say I’ve never seen the guy with a temper, Never.”
Prosecutors in the Wood Green Crown Court case said that before the incident, Bissell also stopped by to buy two packs of pita bread, THE Time reports. At that point, the newspaper recounts, Bissell told the shopkeeper he planned to burn down the movie star’s residence.
“Understandably the whole family was absolutely terrified and thought this guy was going to come in and hurt them,” a source told the newspaper. Daily mail of the attack. “Fortunately, it never got that far. Benedict and Sophie have had many sleepless nights since fearing they could be targeted again.
Bissell pleaded guilty to criminal damage on May 10 and received both a restraining order and a $310 fine. The temperature and the Daily mail report that he has previous convictions for theft, three warnings for property offenses and a drug offense.
He was also arrested for disturbing public order during a protest against military intervention in Syria in 2015. Six years later, he posted an image of himself being taken away by police wearing only his underwear, with the caption: “Bad choice of underwear and very practical police. One for the fireplace.
Learn more about The Daily Beast.
Get the Daily Beast’s biggest scoops and scandals straight to your inbox. Register now.
Stay informed and get unlimited access to The Daily Beast’s unrivaled reports. Subscribe now.