With nerves frayed over a potential Georgia indictment of Donald Trump, Reuters reported Monday that a court document listed charges against him. But the document quickly disappeared from a county website and the Fulton County district attorney’s office said no indictment has yet been returned.
The snafu occurred as Trump awaits a potential fourth indictment over his attempts to overturn the 2020 election results in Georgia, as part of a nationwide effort to remain in the White House. Trump has pleaded not guilty to federal charges alleging the broader conspiracy and called the prosecution politically motivated.
Reuters reporter Jonathan S. Landay announced on the X social media platform the news agency found a document on Fulton County’s website detailing potential charges against Trump.
But the document quickly disappeared from the site. Fulton County District Attorney’s office denied to Reuters any indictment had been returned.
Tamar Hallerman, a reporter for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, said on X she was standing in the courthouse at the time and that prosecutors told her no indictment had been returned.
Trump supporters posted the document on social media in order condemn it.
“Reports say the Grand Jury has not voted and is still hearing from witnesses,” said Taylor Budowich, the head ofTrump political action committee, said on the X. “The DA’s office has denied that any charges have been filed. Yet, this document appeared on the Superior Court docket. The Grand Jury is just a formality for these Banana Republic proceedings.”
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Potential Georgia charges against Donald Trump posted briefly on web