For anyone wanting to stretch one of today’s record CD rates almost all the way to 2025, you’re in luck. That’s because the 18-month term gained a new national leader today, paying 5.75% APY. For the last week, the top 18-month rate was 5.66% APY.
Today’s newcomer is First Harvest Credit Union, whose 5.75% APY offer is available for a 15-month term. That would lock your rate until December of next year, if opened this month. But if you want to extend your rate guarantee all the way to 2025, the runner-up is Alabama Credit Union, which is paying 5.66% APY on a full 18-month term.
- A new CD has taken the top spot in the 18-month term, offering 5.75% APY for 15 months.
- The top rate in our daily ranking of the best nationwide CDs continues to be 6.00% APY on a 1-year certificate—the first nationally available CD to reach that threshold since the Fed began raising interest rates last year.
- Today’s count of nationally available CDs paying 5.50% APY or higher climbed by one to 47. That’s a gain of six in the past week.
- The best longer-term option offering at least 5.00% is a 3-year CD paying 5.23% APY.
- It’s overwhelmingly expected the Fed will hold rates steady when it meets Sept. 19-20, but odds of a Fed hike in November are currently running about 45%.
The leading nationwide rate across all terms continues to be 6.00% APY from American 1 Credit Union, available for 12 months. Lucky CD shoppers in select markets can also choose from one of these additional 6.00% APY offers.
Looking to secure a record rate for a longer term? You can score 5.23% APY from the leader of our best 3-year CDs ranking, or at least 5.00% from five other contenders in that term. The current top rates in the 4-year and 5-year terms, meanwhile, are 4.81% APY and 4.86% APY, respectively.