If you’re CD shopping, five “cream of the crop” options allow you to lock in a record return you can enjoy until at least next summer. The leading nationwide rate remains 6.00% APY, available for a 1-year term from American 1 Credit Union. But there are also four offers with a second-place rate of 5.75% APY, ranging in duration from nine to 12 months.
- The top rate in our daily ranking of the best nationwide CDs continues to be 6.00% APY on a 1-year certificate—the first nationally available CD to reach that threshold since the Fed began raising interest rates last year.
- Four CDs currently offer the next-highest rate of 5.75% APY.
- Today’s count of nationally available CDs paying 5.50% APY or higher climbed by one to 46. Two weeks ago the number was 30.
- The best longer-term option offering at least 5.00% is a 3-year CD at 5.23% APY.
- It’s overwhelmingly expected the Fed will hold rates steady when it meets in two weeks, but odds of a Fed hike in November are currently running about 45%.
To help you earn as much as possible, here are the top CD rates available from our partners, followed by more information on the best-paying CDs that are available to U.S. customers everywhere.
Looking to secure a record rate for a longer term? You can score 5.23% APY from the leader of our best 3-year CDs ranking, or at least 5.00% from five other contenders in that term. The current top rates in the 4-year and 5-year terms, meanwhile, are 4.81% APY and 4.86% APY, respectively.