Pancake Day is right here – and it is an ideally suited alternative to check your cooking and flipping abilities within the kitchen.
This straightforward pancake recipe, with solely three elements, is ideal for any pancake-flipping novice. Simply add lemon and sugar to maintain the dish easy, or soak in syrup and chocolate sauce for a extra decadent model.
It might probably simply be doubled or tripled to make as many as you want – any uneaten pancakes will preserve in a stack for twenty-four hours or may be frozen. So if you happen to’re too full on the day, you may proceed your topping experiments after Pancake Day!
Don’t worry if the primary pancake or two is a failure: it acts as a take a look at for the consistency of the batter and the warmth of the pan, and if you’re new to pancake making chances are you’ll desire to make them barely thicker, to be on the secure aspect, during which case chances are you’ll solely make eight.
Prep time: 5 minutes, plus half-hour for the batter to face | Cooking time: 10 to 12 minutes
12 skinny pancakes (18-20cm every)
- 125g plain flour
- 1 egg and 1 yolk
- 300ml milk
- Sift 125g plain flour right into a bowl and make a properly within the center. Whisk collectively one egg, one egg yolk and a little bit milk taken from the 300ml, then pour into the properly. Whisk with a little bit of the flour.
- Step by step whisk in half of the remaining milk, drawing in the remainder of the flour a little bit at a time, to make a easy batter. Stir within the remaining milk. Cowl and go away to face for about half-hour.
- Warmth the frying pan and brush with a little bit oil.
- Ladle two or three tablespoons of batter into the pan and tilt the pan in order that the batter spreads out evenly over the underside.
- Cook dinner the pancake over a medium-high warmth for 45-60 seconds till small holes seem on the floor, the underside is calmly browned and the sting has began to curve. Loosen the pancake and switch it over by tossing or flipping it with a palette knife. Cook dinner the opposite aspect for about 30 seconds till golden. Slide the pancake out of the pan.
- Warmth and calmly grease the pan once more earlier than making the subsequent pancake. Serve the pancakes as they’re made, or stack them on a plate and reheat earlier than serving. (If the pancakes are sizzling once you stack them they won’t stick collectively; there isn’t any have to interleave them with greaseproof paper.)
Mary Berry’s Full Cookbook may be purchased on the Telegraph Bookshop