Manhunt launched in Manchester after woman stabbed to death in ‘ruthless attack’

police tape

police tape

A manhunt is underway for a knife after a 44-year-old woman was fatally stabbed in Greater Manchester, the second such incident in the city in 48 hours.

Officers were called to Edge Lane, Droylsden at around 12pm on Friday to report a stabbing and confirmed the woman died at the scene.

Police say initial reports suggest the suspect fled the area in an unknown direction. Detectives were unable to confirm if the victim was known to the attacker.

Greater Manchester Police said officers were working with the victim’s family and members of the public to try to establish what happened. The victim’s family was supported by family liaison officers.

Chief Superintendent Phil Davies, Commanding Officer of Tameside District, said: ‘First and foremost our hearts go out to the family and friends of the victim. Our specialist family liaison officers are currently with the victim’s family to support them during this incredibly difficult time.

“GMP officers and our Major Incidents team are working extremely hard to determine all of the circumstances surrounding this incident. We will do everything we can to ensure that we locate the person responsible for this ruthless attack.

“I understand that this news will come as a great shock to members of the Droylsden community. In response, you will see an increased presence of our local officers, who will be patrolling the local community on foot and in vehicles, which will further reassure the community.

It comes as 21-year-old Salah Eldin Adam was killed at Old Trafford on Wednesday night in a separate incident. Police believe he was fatally stabbed while helping a friend who was attacked.

Residents have expressed grief over the two stab wounds that rocked the community less than 48 hours apart.

“It’s terrible,” a person who witnessed Droylsden’s attack told the Manchester Evening News.

“You can’t understand it. So sad. There was blood everywhere. I saw someone being taken away in the air ambulance.

Angela Rayner, the local MP, said her thoughts are with the family of the slain 44-year-old woman.

“I am in contact with the police as the facts continue to emerge,” she said.

“Officers will remain at the scene to reassure the community.”

No arrests were made.

Anyone with information, CCTV or video footage relevant to the incident can contact GMP by calling 101 or visiting quoting log 1353 of 02/06/2023. Information can be submitted anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

Broaden your horizons with award-winning British journalism. Try The Telegraph free for 1 month, then get a year for just $9 with our exclusive US offer.

Leave a Comment