A grand jury in Harris County, Texas on Thursday indicted a man with murder in connection with the shooting death last year of rap group Migos member Takeoff.
Patrick Clark, 33, has been arrested in connection with the December death.
Takeoff, 28, was fatally shot outside a private party at 810 Billiards and Bowling in Houston on Nov. 1, authorities said. “There was an argument outside the bowling alley which led to the shooting,” Houston Police Chief Troy Finner said at the time. Another man, Cameron Joshua, was arrested and charged with unlawful possession of a weapon in connection with the shooting.
Police described Takeoff as an “innocent bystander” to the argument that preceded the shooting.
In the arraignment document, the state alleges that Clark “unlawfully, intentionally, and knowingly committed the criminal offense of fatal driving by knowingly discharging a firearm at and in the direction of” Takeoff.
Clark’s defense attorney, Letitia Quiñones-Hollins, told CNN the indictment is expected.
“We ask people to remember that getting an indictment requires meeting a very, very minimal standard of proof,” she said in a statement. “When we walk into a courtroom and before a jury, where we can present our evidence and cross-examine state witnesses – where the standard of proof is guilt beyond a reasonable doubt – we expect the jury to return with a verdict of not guilty.
Clark remains under house arrest on $1 million bail.
Takeoff was the youngest member of the Migos trio, alongside his uncle Quavo and rapper Offset. Artists such as Justin Bieber and Drake remembered Takeoff as a talented rapper and loving friend and family member at his memorial last year.
CNN’s Chris Boyette contributed to this report.
For more news and newsletters on CNN, create an account on CNN.com