Dsick is Scandinavia. I couldn’t imagine how a lot its scent hung round practically each meal once I first began to journey there. Dill smells of pine and caraway and, in case you actually stick your nostril in it, sweetness too. That sweetness works effectively with cucumber – it is likely to be clean-tasting, nearly ‘inexperienced’ – nevertheless it shares traits with melons, that are in the identical household. It is a nice ‘fast’ pickle, good with mackerel, salmon, smoked salmon or trout, gravlax, even roast pork. This amount is for serving instantly however you can also make extra and maintain it in a jar within the fridge. Simply don’t add the dill till you wish to serve it.
Prep time: half-hour, plus pickling time
4 as an accompaniment
- 1 ridge cucumber, or 1/2 common cucumber
- 1½ stalks pink rhubarb, medium thickness
- 1 lengthy shallot, peeled and really finely sliced
- 5 tbsp rice vinegar
- 30g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- Peel the cucumber and lower it in half lengthways. Scoop out the seeds utilizing a teaspoon and discard them. Slice the cucumber very finely and put the slices right into a sieve set over a bowl. Sprinkle 1½ tsp salt over them and put aside for about 20 minutes.
- Trim the highest and base of the rhubarb stalks. Slice the rhubarb as thinly as you possibly can and put it right into a serving bowl or a glass jar.
- Rinse the cucumber, shake it dry and blot gently with a clear tea towel. Add this to the rhubarb together with the shallot.
- Put the rice vinegar, caster sugar and 2½ tbsp of boiling water right into a small bowl. Stir to assist the sugar dissolve. Pour this over the cucumber, rhubarb and shallot. Add a pinch of salt.
- Now simply go away it for a few hours or till the rhubarb and shallot turn into gentle within the pickling liquid.
- Simply earlier than serving, add the chopped dill (the dill would go limp if left within the vinegar resolution).