Connecticut man paralyzed by police last year awarded $45 million

<span>Photo: Arnold Gold/AP</span>” src=”https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/VP66T8DrwCh5.Vi0dMAwjA–/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTcwNTtoPTQ3MA–/https://media.zenfs.com/en/the_guardian_765/2d58aad318dafeab87bfca551 1442701″ data- src=”https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/VP66T8DrwCh5.Vi0dMAwjA–/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTcwNTtoPTQ3MA–/https://media.zenfs.com/en/the_guardian_765/2d58aad318dafeab87bfca5511 442701″/><button class=

Photography: Arnold Gold/AP

A Connecticut man who was left partially paralyzed while in police custody last year has reached a $45 million settlement with the city of New Haven.

Last June, 36-year-old Randy Cox was arrested for illegal possession of a handgun and placed in a police transport van without a seatbelt.

Related: Connecticut Exonerates Victims of 17th-Century Witchcraft Trials

According to video footage released by Cox’s family, Cox was being transported to a detention center when the officer driving the van, Oscar Diaz, suddenly braked, causing Cox to slide on the bench and hit his head against the wall of the room. van.

Cox remained slumped in the back of the van for three minutes before Diaz pulled over to check on him. ” I can not move. I will die like this. Please, please, please help me,” Cox said. He was eventually taken to the detention center where officers ordered him to get off the ground.

When Cox said he couldn’t move, an officer replied, “You’re not even trying.” Video footage showed Cox repeatedly slipping from a wheelchair that officers placed him in, as well as an officer saying “He’s perfectly fine” as Cox lay on the floor of a cell.

Following the incident, Cox filed a $100 million federal civil lawsuit against the officers and the city of New Haven, alleging negligence, recklessness, and excessive force against the officers involved.

According to the lawsuit, Cox suffered serious injuries and damages, including a fractured cervical spine, permanent paralysis below the neck, permanent muscle atrophy and a shortened life expectancy.

The $45 million settlement was reached Friday night and came two days after the city fired two police officers for their reckless treatment and lack of compassion for Cox, the Associated Press reported.

“The city’s mistakes have been well documented,” said a statement released by Cox’s attorneys, including prominent civil rights attorney Ben Crump.

“But today is a time to look to the future, so that the people of New Haven can have confidence in their city and their police department,” the statement added.

Speaking to the AP, one of Cox’s lawyers, Louis Rubano, said Cox “kind of relived what happened to him throughout the day yesterday, so it was a very moving”.

“He’s relaxing now,” Rubano added.

At a press conference on Saturday, Mayor Justin Elicker said, “Randy is 36 years old, and we hope he has a long life ahead of him with the kind of support and care he deserves.”

Leave a Comment