Boris Johnson’s resignation letter – latest: Ex-PM says ‘I’ll be back’ as report into lying to Parliament looms

Rishi Sunak: Boris Johnson ‘asked me to do something I wasn’t ready to do’

Boris Johnson has promised he will return to frontline politics as he promised: “I will return.”

Just hours after formally stepping down as an MP, Mr Johnson pledged to push the Conservative Party “to fully respect Brexit and the 2019 manifesto”.

He told the Daily Express: “We have to crush Labor in the next election. Nothing less than outright victory and full Brexit will suffice – and as the great Arnold Schwarzenegger said, I’ll be back.”

It comes after an escalation in the war of words between the ex-PM and Rishi Sunak on Monday. Mr Johnson accused the Prime Minister of ‘saying rubbish’ after Mr Sunak said his predecessor had asked him to overturn the decision of the House of Lords Appointments Review Committee.

Earlier on Monday, Rishi Sunak alleged that the former prime minister asked him to “do something that I was not ready to do” by reversing the decision of the peerages approval committee.

Answering questions at the London Tech Week conference, Mr Sunak said he had been asked to ‘override the Holac committee (House of Lords Appointments Committee) or make promises to people’ .

“Now I wasn’t ready to do that. I didn’t think it was good and if people don’t like it then it’s hard.

1686578011

Sunak ‘talks trash’, says Johnson

Boris Johnson has accused Rishi Sunak of ‘speaking rubbish’ after the Prime Minister said his predecessor had asked him to overturn the decision of the House of Lords Nominations Review Committee.

In a statement, Boris Johnson said: “Rishi Sunak talks nonsense. To honor these peerages it was not necessary to cancel Holac – just to ask them to re-verify, which was not just a formality.

It comes after Downing Street said it was ‘entirely untrue’ that Mr Sunak or members of his No 10 team had removed names from the House of Lords Appointments Committee (Holac) list.

Eleanor NoyceJune 12, 2023 2:53 p.m.

1686559706

Rishi Sunak: ‘Boris Johnson asked me to do something I wasn’t ready to do’

Rishi Sunak said Boris Johnson asked him to ‘do something that I was not ready to do’ when asked if anyone in Number 10 had stepped into the resignation honors list of the former prime minister.

Answering questions at the London Tech Week conference, Mr Sunak said: ‘Boris Johnson asked me to do something that I wasn’t ready to do because I didn’t think it was right.

“It was either to overturn the decision of the Holac committee (House of Lords Appointments Committee) or to make promises to people.

(APE)

(APE)

Eleanor NoyceJune 12, 2023 9:48 a.m.

1686604552

The downfall of Boris Johnson: how we got here and what comes next

In the fog of conservative civil war, it’s good to know how we got here, writes Sean O’Grady

Joe MiddletonJune 12, 2023 10:15 p.m.

1686602563

Boris Johnson pledges: “I will come back”

Boris Johnson promised he would return to frontline politics and vowed: ‘I will return.’

Speaking to the Daily Express, Mr Johnson said he intended to push the Conservative Party ‘to fully respect Brexit and the 2019 manifesto’.

He added: “We must crush Labor in the next election. Nothing less than outright victory and full Brexit will suffice – and as the great Arnold Schwarzenegger said, I’ll be back.”

It comes after an escalating war of words between the ex-PM and Rishi Sunak. Mr Johnson accused the Prime Minister of ‘saying rubbish’ after Mr Sunak said his predecessor had asked him to overturn the decision of the House of Lords Appointments Review Committee.

Joe MiddletonJune 12, 2023 9:42 p.m.

1686601426

Dorries quit due to Chief Whip’s ‘sheer audacity’

Nadine Dorries said the “significant thing” that made her step down was the “sheer audacity” of Chief Whip Simon Hart when he contacted her about the honors roll.

“It was sheer audacity of the Chief Whip to think that at my age, having worked in Parliament for 21 years, served 18 years in the backseats, having been a minister during Covid… having been Secretary of State, that he can dangle some kind of stick and carrot for me, like “be a nice girl and we’ll make something happen for you in the future”, that’s basically what he was telling me. That for me, and that moment, was what changed my mind,” she told TalkTV.

She said she was ‘heartbroken’ that a woman in her background had the date taken away ‘by two privileged posh boys who went to Winchester and Oxford, deceitfully and cruelly’.

Joe MiddletonJune 12, 2023 9:23 p.m.

1686601320

Nadine Dorries claims she was ‘bullied’ by No 10

Nadine Dorries said she was ‘intimidated’ by No 10 and decided she ‘couldn’t allow it to happen’.

She denied ‘cutting the party’ by calling a by-election in her constituency,” told TalkTV: “I think you come to a point in life where you have to stop, where you can’t just be pushed around , where you can don’t let people bully you, because I just got bullied by number 10. You can’t allow that to happen, you have to stand up for yourself, and that’s what I did.

The former culture secretary added: ‘It was a painful decision…I didn’t want to cause a by-election.’

Joe MiddletonJune 12, 2023 9:22 p.m.

1686600052

Rishi Sunak: Boris Johnson ‘asked me to do something I wasn’t ready to do’

Rishi Sunak: Boris Johnson ‘asked me to do something I wasn’t ready to do’

Joe MiddletonJune 12, 2023 9:00 p.m.

1686597748

Sunak ‘set to stop Boris Johnson from running again as Tory MP’

Rishi Sunak will block any attempt by Boris Johnson to run to become a Tory MP, according to reports.

The Prime Minister and Mr Johnson today engaged in an escalating war of words over the former Prime Minister’s failure to elect a number of close allies to the House of Lords.

A Conservative source told the Guardian: “The leader runs the party. Why would Rishi leave Boris on the candidate list?

“It’s pretty obvious to me that he won’t. The party must go ahead after this clown show. The vast majority of MPs agree.

Joe MiddletonJune 12, 2023 8:22 p.m.

1686596886

We must not let AI cause a repeat of the job losses of the 1980s – Starmer

Sir Keir Starmer has pledged not to let artificial intelligence (AI) cause a repeat of the widespread job losses seen during Margaret Thatcher’s deindustrialisation in the 1980s.

write for The Independentthe Labor leader has insisted that AI ‘has to work for workers’ – promising a skills and training revolution so Britain avoids a surge in employment.

“We must also learn from the lessons of the deindustrialization of the 1980s and the technological revolution of the 1990s, a time when manual and clerical work was automated or sent abroad to be done in other countries,” said said Sir Keir.

Joe MiddletonJune 12, 2023 8:08 p.m.

1686595342

Boris ‘removes the bricks’ as he leaves, says William Hague

Fellow Tory leader William Hague also condemned Boris Johnson and his camp in his latest Times column – saying the ‘witch hunt’ cries of the privileges committee were ‘highly inaccurate and insulting’.

Lord Hague attacked Mr Johnson’s ‘sadly irremediable flaws’, saying: ‘The most serious of these has been a tendency to damage the institutions around him. Even as he rushes through the door, Boris rips a few bricks from the wall of another vital institution, Parliament.

Joe MiddletonJune 12, 2023 7:42 p.m.