A 25-year-old man shot dead in the Myles Standish State Forest in Plymouth has died

Editor’s Note: An earlier version of this story cited early police reports that indicated a suspect was in custody. Police have since released new information indicating that the person in custody was not the shooter. The story has been updated to reflect this development.

Plymouth District Attorney Timothy Cruz said the victim of the shooting Wednesday afternoon at Myles Standish State Forest was dead.

Officials say Robert Aponte-Flores, 25, of New Bedford was shot multiple times after an altercation took place at a picnic area in the park around 2:30 p.m.

Aponte-Flores was transported off the scene and later pronounced dead at Beth Israel Hospital, Cruz said.

The victim was transported to Beth Israel Deaconess in Plymouth to be treated for his gunshot wounds.

“It was not a random act of violence and there is no threat to the public,” Cruz said.

No arrests have been made so far in the shooting.

The investigation is active at this time.

Myles Standish State Forest is the state’s largest public recreation area.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News App for the latest news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW

Leave a Comment